Practical Action with funding support of GIZ EnDev programme is implementing “Sustainable Hood-stove Market in Nepal” project to provide clean, efficient and safe cooking solutions to 30,000 households in Nepal by establishing sustainable market of hood-stoves. The project offers “hood-stove” solution as a complete package of a specifically designed smoke-hood and an improved biomass stove to tackle both the issues of inefficient use of biomass fuel and high levels of harmful emissions.
The project has been in implementation since October 2014. First adjustment of the project was made just after Nepal Earthquake 2015. This is fifth half yearly progress report which covers project updates of July 2016 -– December 2016 period.
Objectives of the Project
The overall objective of the project is establishing sustainable market of clean cook-stoves in Nepal to provide clean, efficient and safe cooking solutions to rural households. Specific objectives of the project include:
- To strengthen private-sector led clean cook-stove marketing approach;
- To strengthen market chain of clean cook-stoves; and
- To minimise respiratory health problems in rural Nepal
Learning objectives of the project includes:
- Setting incentives that enable poor users to purchase and benefit push products despite their low financial means.
- Innovative financing for clean cook-stoves through preferential loans via cooperatives as an alternative to the current approach of providing substantial subsidies for certain types of clean cook-stoves.
The project aims to achieve the following targets:
- Strengthen technical and business development skill of 10 formal hood-stove or clean cook-stoves manufacturing companies or business companies and 200 raftsmen and sales agents;
- Provide technical assistance to around 150 village-level cooperatives for setting-up of their new credit lines for clean cook-stoves technologies;
- Installation of hood-stoves in at least 10,000 households and portable clean cook-stoves 21,200 households.